Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Congratulations Victor and All our 55Plus Games Athletes making the 2012 games such a success.


story courtesy of Journal Pioneer
SUMMERSIDE – Victor Greenwood and his wife Moe were threatening for years to start their retirement and move to Prince Edward Island.
Victor Greenwood stands on the track at Credit Union Place after winning a gold medal in the walking event, his second of the 55-Plus P.E.I. Winter Games in Summerside.Ryan Quigley/Journal Pioneer
Victor Greenwood stands on the track at Credit Union Place after winning a gold medal in the walking event, his second of the 55-Plus P.E.I. Winter Games in Summerside.

Finally last summer, the 55-year-olds closed on a house and moved from Enfield, N.S., to Summerside.
“I love the province, love the people, the scenery and everything,” said Victor.
“I’m quite high on the place.”
The Summerside Storm season ticket holder was attending a game when he stopped into the East Prince Seniors Initiative office at Credit Union Place one day.
Greenwood inquired about the P.E.I. 55-Plus Winter Games, thinking it would be a nice place to meet people in the city.
Despite having little experience in any of the four events he signed up for – walking, stick curling, skating and cribbage – the Halifax native won three medals: Gold in walking and Cribbage, and bronze in skating.
“In fairness everybody that participated in the walking got a gold medal today,” he said.
After winning his first three games with stick curling partner Allison Noye, he’ll try for a fifth medal today.
The Games continue today with curling at the Silver Fox Curling and Yacht Club from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. These are the makeup games that were cancelled on Feb. 28 due to the weather.
Stick curling has been Greenwood’s favourite event so far.
“I’ve never curled before, it was my first time stick curling.”
Greenwood said he wanted to ease his way into the events.
“I didn’t want anything too physical,” he said. “I had asked if they needed any experience with this and they said no, it was to get people to participate.”
Greenwood’s first time skating in 30 years was only recently, but he said he wasn’t nervous going into that event.
“My wife and I just purchased skates this year,” he said. “I wouldn’t say I was nervous at all, I was excited… You hope that you stay upright, that’s all.”
Greenwood said he used to play Cribbage on lunch hours with some colleagues while working for the City of Halifax.
“It’s probably been 10 years since I played that.”
Greenwood said, “Everybody is competitive to a certain degree, but I wasn’t here to win the gold medal or anything. I was just here to take part in it and I’ve been fortunate enough to win some medals.”
So far Greenwood has been enjoying himself.
“I’ve had great fun,” he said. “I’ve met a lot of people and it’s a great atmosphere here.”

Ryan Quigley/Journal Pioneer

No comments: